We all took a family trip to Spain a few years ago and one of the things we remember most – of course – is the food and the wine (which by the way is cheaper than water) my kind of place! The dining scenery wasn’t too shabby either…….we were right on the Southern coast in the city of Malaga. Most cafes and restaurants had their own tasty house variation of Paella which made it fun to scope out each menu. Usually we would order a couple different types and share (and somehow these decisions are always heavily swayed by Steph… hmmm)
During our trip to Eastern Market last week in Detroit, Katie and I spotted saffron at one of the spice markets for an incredibly low price, I had to buy some and naturally had to make paella.
It turned out to be quite an ordeal to find all of the ingredients. My mom and I started at one grocery store to get wine and lobster, we then made another stop to get what we hoped would be everything else we needed…2 hours later we realized that was not the case. Warning – Paella rice (Bomba rice is best) is hard to find, at least in Holland, MI. We never ended up finding it, thus had to settle for standard long grain rice – of course, I was not too happy. Luckily our paella turned out excellent despite the minor set back. I found the recipe from the blog “One Tribe Gourmet” and decided to add fresh lobster to my paella. Thats the nice thing about this dish, you can make changes to the ingredients to fit your preferences.
The other spanish staple is Sangria. This recipe calls for 1/2 cup of white wine… what to do with the rest? Make sangria to go with your meal! I have posted my recipe for the sangria at the bottom of this post.
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 12 black mussels, beards removed & scrubbed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/2 red onion, extra, finely chopped
- 2 pieces Italian sausage, cook ahead & sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup rice (bomba if you can find it)
- 1/2 teaspoon Spansih saffron threads
- 2 cups organic chicken stock, heated
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 12 extra large shrimp, unpealed Note: I kept the shrimp unpealed for more flavor.
- 1 Lobster – I cooked mine and added it to the dish at the last minute
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish pimenton smoked paprika
3. Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed paella pan, add the extra onion, Italian Sausage (sliced) cook for five minutes, or until softened. 4. Add the chopped tomatoes, red peppers, pimenton smoky paprika, & cayenne pepper. Season with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper. 5. Stir in the reserved (wine/mussels) liquid, then add the rice and stir again. Blend the saffron with the stock and stir into the rice mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes without stirring. 6. Put the peas and shrimp, on top of the rice. Push them into the rice, cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, turning over halfway through, until the rice is cooked. Add the mussels & lemon juice for the last 5 minutes to heat through. If the rice is not cooked, add extra stock and cook for a few more minutes. Once all is cooked add the lobster pieces. 7. Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then add the parsley.